Wednesday, January 6, 2010

shut the f..ck up!!


Don't you want to throttle them? Go right over & stick a knife in their backs? Doesn't matter what public space you're in, the street, restaurant, a bus, the subway, top of the cn tower, waiting for the movie to start, standing in line for the john, even the reverent public library where shhhh! silence! has been the rule of thumb for time in memorian....... there they are with their bloody cellphones stuck to their ear, talking in loud voices about their mundane little lives. What is that anyway? Can't be alone with their own thoughts for a single second lest they might have to face the reality that they don't have a thought worth musing on? A desperate need to prove to everyone within earshot , including themselves, that they're not the depressed friendless isolated urban dweller we might dare to assume they are? Cellphones..... and their users! An obnoxious in-your-face blight on contemporary society's day to day living! A total loss of consideration for everyone else's right to a reasonable measure of unintruded upon existence. A profound lack of common courtesy that is enough to make this ranter tear her hair out by the roots & ram it down the offender's throat til they are rendered speechless! Aaah, silence at last! This abuse of common air space is not even limited to lone souls reaching out to someone, anyone, for companionship, to conduct business on the go, to verify that it was milk they were supposed to pick up on the way home & not a bottle of poison to put an end to their measly sad lives. No, they can be seen all dressed up at lunch on a patio or dinner on the town, in groups of 3 or 4 or more, not even remotely socializing with each other, each & every one of them with a cellphone clamped to the ear talking to someone elsewhere. Yesterday I was riding the Red Rocket out to the west end of the city. No sooner had I sat down than the person behind me started talking loudly to some invisible contact at the other end of a cellphone. The opening lines of her end of the conversation? "Whatssup? Watcha doin'?" Doesn't even have anything of any value to say!! And on & on it went. I can feel the irritation stirring its juices in my gut but, hey, it's January 5th, not a good way to start a new year so I move, collect all my already removed wintergear, hat, scarf, gloves & take a seat at the back of the streetcar where I can no longer hear her loud tedious smalltalk. The return journey several hours later.....had just settled down, taken out & started reading Chris Hedges' excellent "Empire of Illusion" when the young woman across the aisle from me starts up on her cellphone..... very loudly, like she's giving a performance and demanding that every other rider on the streetcar be her audience, whether they like it or not. Her hostage would be a more appropriate word. Her topic of relentless conversation? A 'he said, she said' gossip reportage of the previous evening apparently. Concentration to read is impossible. Am I going to move again? No, I am not! Am I going to stay silent & irritated? No, I am not! "Miss, talk with a quieter voice!!!!" spoken quite loudly.... but no response, my voice has not penetrated the banality of her idle chatter. "HEY!!!" She glances over to me with a surprised 'who me?' look on her face. " Talk with a quieter voice" "Oh, sorry!" she says and continues talking on her cell at a more reasonable level. A few passengers cheer, in relief I suspect. But is she sorry? Has she thought about what prompted a demand for consideration on a crowded public vehicle? Hopefully... but probably not. She was still talking when I exited the streetcar. I, on the otherhand, have taken my first but not my last step of rebellion against this constant onslaught of vocal invasion. Be warned Toronto. I am about to become recognizable as the woman who's not going to take it anymore. Get out of my face with your damn cellphone. Get a life. A real life in the here & now! Try a little silence! Shut the f..ck up!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ana!!! you warned me about your 'rant' today!! it is quite insidious and yes, inconsiderate - this overuse and addiction to cell phones, smart phones, all manner of electronic communication devices. it is a new world order, it seems. i have family members who send text messages to each other while under the same roof, rather than come out to a place to speak face to face!! absurd! a couple of years ago, while enjoying a tranquil morning stroll on the beach at ana maria island, that solitude was harshly interrupted by a woman briskly walking along and talking loudly with cellphone in hand. i wanted to jog to her and throw that phone in the warm gulf waters!! i wished to say to her, "please - can you not enjoy a morning stroll without ruining the moment with another phone call?" so, yes -- i do understand. seems we are creating another monster of sorts in our quest for "connectivity" -- we have those who cannot comfortably enjoy a good chat face to face, voice to voice - but rather opt for frantic texting, facebooking, and cell-phone chatter.

Congratulations on your blog - a fine beginning to 2010!! Already a fan ... of course ... I shall so enjoy this journey! XOXO ~marilyn

BDM said...

You tell 'em, lady! We need a campaign going here. Like-minded individuals: we can battle this scourge even if it takes one courtesy lesson at a time.

jo:rg said...

hahahahaha! I've got it after the 2nd sentence!
yeah! when my youngest day will come I throw all my cells in the washer... they need to be boiled :)