Sunday, January 10, 2010

ecstasy......


A young child, perhaps 2 years of age or less, sits on her mother's lap. Offered a small piece of peeled mango she seems to hold it on her tongue for a moment then........ the back arches, the eyes roll upwards, the limbs jerk akimbo, a smile of absolute bliss transforms her baby face as she writhes in this seemingly new experience for her developing senses. When was the last time I ate food in such a mindful manner that my taste buds reached their full potential for ecstasy?

1 comment:

Margaret Mendel said...

Oh, how true. My daughter turned 32 yesterday and I remember her first taste of ice cream. She was perhaps 4 or 5 months old. It was summer, we were in the throws of a horrible heat wave and I causally put my ice cream cone in front of her to give her a bit of taste. And she quickly grabbed that cone as though she was starved and the cone was my breast and buried her face in that mound of ice cream until we could no longer see her nose. From that point on we gave her tastes of everything and watched her amazing approval and sometimes disapproval of what went into her mouth.